Adding a pool umbrella to your backyard setup can help to make your pool shadier and more protected from the sun. Many outdoor patio umbrellas do a great job of working in a pool. However, some are better than others. If you are unsure of which pool umbrella to purchase, we have you covered. We have pulled together ten of the best pool umbrella options on the market and some criteria for purchasing a great one. There is sure to be an option on this list that will work for your pool.
The 10 Best Pool Umbrella Reviews
1. Best Overall Pool Umbrella: Best Choice Products 10ft Offset Hanging Market Patio Umbrella w/Easy Tilt Adjustment
- 10FT OFFSET PATIO UMBRELLA: Designed to keep you cool and comfortable in your outdoor living space, with more space underneath than traditional patio umbrellas
- EASY ADJUSTMENT: A hand-crank lift and easy-tilt system allow you to adjust the shade and block the sun at all angles, keeping the area protected throughout the day; detachable pole and crank also make for...
- ENHANCED STABILITY: A large wind vent at the top allows cool air to flow through, while the cross base and 2 pole knobs add optimal support and stability when the wind blows; Note: Do not use without...
- DURABLE COMPOSITION: Crafted with a powder-coated steel pole to prevent corrosion and scratching, plus a water- and UV-resistant polyester fabric shade for years of vibrance
With all of the incredible pool umbrellas on the market, it is hard to make a decision about which is going to be best for your home. The Best Choice Products 10ft Offset Hanging Market Patio Umbrella offers plenty of great features for a very fair price.
We love how easy the Market Patio Umbrella is to adjust and that you can tilt it as well. The sun angle over your pool will change throughout the day, and the adjustability will make things much easier on you. A large wind vent at the top allows the cool air to come in and the umbrella to stay much more stable.
Overall you will have no trouble finding a color to match with your decor and getting the shade you need over your pool.
- 10 ft offset
- Easy to adjust
- Very stable
- Durable composition
- Umbrella will fade if left in the direct sun too long
2. Best Value Pool Umbrella: Sunnyglade 9′ Patio Umbrella Outdoor Table Umbrella with 8 Sturdy Ribs (Red)
- Made of 100% polyester that can be waterproof, long lasting, easy to clean.
- Powder Coated Aluminum Pole(40mm Diameter aluminum pole) and 8 sturdy ribs provides stronger support. Includes single wind vent for stability
- 9 feet diameter- Wide enough to your 42" to 54" round, square or rectangle table with 4 to 6 chairs.
- Easy crank open function with push button tilt, keeping cool and comfortable form the sun.
The best value pool umbrella is the 9′ Sunnyglade. Although this is a bit smaller than our first option and not entirely as adjustable, you will get a great value for this umbrella. The Sunnyglade is a long-lasting umbrella made with waterproof material.
You will be able to open the Sunny glade with the easy crank and push-button tilt. The coverage won’t be quite as extensive, considering the pole is located in the umbrella center. This is important to remember, as your pool may not get quite as much coverage.
- Very fair price
- Available in several colors
- Made with a waterproof fabric
- Does not have as much adjustability as other options
3. Blissun 9 ft Solar Umbrella 32 LED Lighted Patio Umbrella Table Market Umbrella with Tilt
- [Energy-Efficient Lighting] 4 LED lights on each rib, 8 steel rib construction, solar-powered 32 LEDs provide energy-efficient lighting, help to light up relaxing night and create warm atmosphere. Overall...
- [Easy Tilt Operation] On and off switch for umbrella solar light, easy tilt operation with push button for more angles with hand-crank lift, easy set-up and take-down so you can relax within seconds.
- [Tilts to Get Shade] Breathable fabric that avoid harmful UV rays and guards against water, long lasting. Provide a perfect shade for your patio, garden, deck, backyard, pool.
- [Multi places available] 9 feet diameter LED lighted patio umbrella add a festive mood to any occasion. Great for entertaining, picnics, BBQ¡¯s, garden parties, beach, camping, or relaxing in the shade....
- [Entertain day and nights] Solar powered LED lights brighten up an evening gathering, while the umbrella keeps you shaded as you enjoy daytime drinks with your friends. NOTE: When used as free standing...
The Blissun Umbrella makes our list because of its unique solar-powered lighting. On the underside of this umbrella, you will notice 32 LED lights. These are warmed up throughout the day and then will light up at night. This is a great option to provide shade to your pool during the day and a bit of lighting at night. Truly this umbrella can help create that outdoor oasis.
The Blissun Umbrella is very easy to work with, and you can tilt it with a simple push button. The hand crank works to fold the umbrella without having to take the lights on or off. This umbrella’s total diameter is nine feet, making it a good choice for maneuverability and coverage.
- Has LED solar lights
- Easy to work with and set up
- Can tilt with a push of a button
- With solar-powered lights like this, you won’t be able to turn them off when you don’t want them
4. PHI VILLA 15ft Solar LED Large Patio Umbrella Double-Sided Outdoor Market Pool Lighted Umbrellas with 36 LED Lights
- 36 PCS LED LIGHTS, ELEGANT AND STURDY: Such a umbrella looks classic and elegant. Superior strength and durability with the rust-resistant 1.9"(48mm) steel pole and 12 steel ribs with 3 pcs LED lights on...
- EXTRA LARGE PATIO LIGHTED UMBRELLA: PHI VILLA this 15 ft large patio umbrella features a double-sided design, which gives you maximum shelter that brings you large shades for your outdoor enjoyment....
- UMBRELLA BASE ARE INCLUDED: Coming with a durable umbrella base, which made of metal frame, two sand bags and 1 polyester bag cover. (ps: Sands are not included, each sand bag can be filling with 100 lbs...
- 100% POLYESTER CANNOPY: PHI VILLA double sided outdoor umbrellas canopy are made of 100% polyester fabric that can be waterproof, breathable, long lasting, fade resistant, UV protective and easy to clean
One of the things you will notice about making a patio umbrella a pool umbrella is that coverage can be an issue. If you are trying to cover a large area of your pool, the Phi Villa could be a good choice to consider. This is a 15ft long umbrella with essentially a rectangular type shape to it.
The umbrella features 36 LED lights that will heat up during the day and give off light at night. This is a high-quality umbrella that is priced higher than some other smaller umbrellas; however, it does provide a solution. You will be able to keep this umbrella for many years as it is UV and water-resistant as well.
- Provides large coverage area
- Wheather resistant and UV Protection
- One of the largest out umbrella choices
- Can be difficult to position the aluminum pole for maximum coverage
5. Best Premium: PURPLE LEAF 10ft Patio Umbrella Outdoor Round Umbrella Large Cantilever Umbrella
- The diameter of this patio umbrella is 10ft, unique double-top canopy and wood pattern design for commercial and residential use
- This cantilever umbrella has unique handle design and crank system, 6 height and angles to choose, 360-degree rotation for easier shading area control
- 【2023 UPGRADED】High quality 240/gsm yarn dyed polyester fabric, UV resistant, water-repellent and colorfast fadeless, 3 years warranty
- All-aluminum umbrella bones and 8 heavy-duty ribs, anti-oxidation spray painted, maintain a long period life
Most of the pool umbrella choices on our list have been quite reasonably priced. This Purple Leaf option is a heavy-duty, expensive, and premium umbrella. If you spend a lot of time in your pool and on your patio, this umbrella has the features and functionality you want.
The Purple Leaf has a unique design, and you can put the height at six different locations. This cantilever umbrella can also rotate 360 degrees to ensure that you are getting the coverage you need for your outdoor space.
The aluminum materials and the heavy-duty ribs make sure that the umbrella’s pole will also have a long life. This is a large investment to make, but when you consider the fabric options, the weather-resistant technology, and the ability to get a perfect coverage area, this is a great buy.
- Large diameter
- Unique top canopy
- 360-degree rotation
- Premium fabric
- Very expensive
6. Grand Patio Umbrella and Base
- BASE INCLUDED: Includes base with integrated wheels for easy repositioning. Innovative metal reinforcement with adjusting levelers hidden under the base for increased stability in windy conditions. The...
- PREMIUM POLYESTER MATERIAL: Canopy is made of double-coated heavy duty 250g polyester, water-resistant, UV protected and fade-resistant. It offers 99% UV protection. Canopy includes air vent for added...
- STURDY & DURABLE FRAME: Rust-proof, powder-coated aluminum pole. 8 rust-resistance powder coated steel ribs.
- EASY TO OPERATE: Easily opened and closed with handle and crank lift operating mechanism, while the innovative position auto-lock allows you to adjust opening angle to any position.
- CAUTION & CARE: Cover and store at night or during extreme weather conditions to avoid damage and ensure the longevity of your new umbrella.
When you decide to add an umbrella and umbrella base to your backyard, you must be prepared for how it will change the look. If you want a really great-looking outdoor umbrella for your pool deck or patio, the Grand Patio Umbrella and Base is a great choice. This particular option does a great job protecting you from sun damage, but it makes your yard look like a resort.
The Umbrella is made with a premium polyester material, and it is water-resistant and fade-resistant. The canopy even has an air vent to make sure that high winds won’t knock it over. Although this may seem like a pricy umbrella, pay attention to the fact that it includes the base.
- Sturdy, durable, and easy to open and close
- Looks like a high-quality umbrella
- Water-resistant and UV Protected
- Not necessary if you already own a base
7. California Umbrella 9′ Round Aluminum Market
- Fabric: Sunbrella 100% Solution-dyed performance acrylic fabric offering a 5 year non-fading warranty engineered to withstand the elements with buit in UV protection.
- Operation: Patented Auto Tilt Feature, simply crank to open and tilt. No need to reach for the tilting button allowing you to easily and effortlessly adjust the tilt as needed keeping you shaded at all...
- Construction: Entire frame is made from rust-free all aluminum with stainless steel hardware, 8 ribs for added canopy support, 1. 5-inch diameter aluminum pole providing a stronger more durable frame,...
- SECURITY: Featuring a built-in wind vent and canopy ties to close the umbrella for superior weather protection.
When you start looking for a market umbrella or pool umbrella, you will likely notice a fabric called Sunbrella referred to quite often. Sunbrella is a performance fabric that is designed to be weather resistant. Many companies will use the Sunbrella fabrics to make their outdoor umbrellas last quite a bit longer. Indeed, if you want your umbrella to make it through several seasons, this is a feature worth considering.
The California Umbrella is made with rust-free aluminum and stainless steel hardware. This will help to make sure that the aluminum pole lasts just as long as the sunbrella fabric. The patented tilt feature makes this very easy to use. You won’t have to find a button to press; simply tilt the umbrella the way you need it to go.
- Made with sunbrella fabric
- No push-button tilt function; simply tilt the way you want it
- Will last for years to come
- Durable aluminum and hardware
- Does not come with umbrella base, expensive considering this
8. Ginelite 10Ft Luxury Cantilever Umbrella Patio Umbrella Olefin Fading Resistant Canopy Sun Umbrella
- 💎【Classic Deluxe Offset Umbrella】：Large and elegant, these are two main features of our 10ft cantilever umbrella. The performance fabric canopy and the heavy duty pole make our product sturdy and...
- ✨【Performance Olefin Fabric】: Best Umbrella deserves best fabric. 97% UV protection, heat Insulation, no fading canopy, water resistance, these are promised features of our topping fabric. Rather...
- 💪【Safety Concerned】: The thick aluminum pole,8 adamant ribs, and the design of cross base, promise the stability of the umbrella. Comparing to other umbrella in the market, our pole is 25% thicker....
- ⛱【360° Rotation, Easy to Assemble】:The stand pole features a 360-degree swivel system that makes it effortless to enjoy the shade all day long. Connect the umbrella and the cantilever, connect the...
When it comes to patio furniture, the cantilever umbrellas tend to give the most sophisticated look. That is certainly the case with the Ginelite 10ft Luxury Cantilever. This is a 10ft umbrella that comes with a heavy-duty umbrella pole. This umbrella provides some excellent protection with its 10-foot size.
The Performance Olefin fabric is design to help keep out harmful rays. Since this umbrella fabric is designed for the sun, it will not fade or fall apart through the years. This is considered a longer lifespan-type patio umbrella.
The wind vents and durability of this umbrella pole and stand are what help make this 10-foot umbrella one of the safer choices on the market. If you care about keeping yourself protected from the sun, this is a great umbrella choice.
- One of the safest and most durable umbrellas
- Large 10-foot size
- Easy to adjust
- High-quality fabric
- Depending on the product pattern, the umbrella can be expensive
9. 10FT 3 Tiers Market Umbrella Patio Umbrella Outdoor Table Umbrella with Ventilation and Push Button Tilt
- Unique 3tier design: The 3tiers design allows the wind to move quickly through the top of the umbrella.Such a design increases the stability of the umbrella and makes it cooler under the umbrella.
- Made with high-quality water-, UV-, and fade- resistant fabric to last for years of enjoyment. Provide a perfect shade for your patio, garden, deck, pool and beach.
- Anti rust powder coated Aluminum frame with 8 Aluminum ribs for durability, 1.5in diameter strong pole to match your patio table.
Wind vents are important on an umbrella if you live in an area that tends to get lots of wind gusts. The vents allow for air to pass through and make sure that the umbrella does not tip over. This Market Umbrella is made with water, UV, and fade-resistant fabric that will last for quite some time. The aluminum pole is also made from an anti-rust material.
One of our favorite things bout this outdoor patio furniture is that the 10-foot design gives you lots of great coverage. Whether you are trying to provide shade or simply cool down the pool area, the 3 Tiers Market Umbrella is a great choice to consider.
- Durable fabric
- High-quality aluminum frame
- Available in many colors
- Need to purchase base separately
10. C-Hopetree 9 ft Half Outdoor Patio Market Umbrella with Solar LED Lights and Tilt – Beige
- Lighting system: 25 warm white rib lights providing excellent ambience at night
- Base recommendation: please search B08SWM6DT3 or B082TZRMPH for matching umbrella stand
- Solar panel: powered by rechargeable batteries
- Heavy duty: powder coated aluminum center pole and 5 steel rectangular ribs. Crank opening and closing with large table clearance
Although many people are looking for an umbrella covering a large area, some don’t have this same luxury. If your pool is close to your property line, the half umbrella may make more sense. On the underside of this C-Hopetree Outdoor Patio Market Umbrella, you will find solar LED lights that will bring some light to your patio at night as well.
With the C-Hopetree, you can adjust the umbrella quite quickly to make sure that you get different shade angles in the pool area. IF you want an umbrella that won’t get in the way but will give you a little extra shade, this is a great choice.
- Comes with LED rib lighting and rechargeable battery
- Great for smaller locations
- Vented canopy
- Will not offer the same type of coverage as a 10-foot umbrella
The 3 Must-Have Pool Umbrella Accessories
Sometimes getting a pool umbrella won’t entirely be enough to handle all of your pool and patio needs. These three accessories should also be considered.
1. PayandPack Umbrella Table Tray 15 Inches for Beach
- ▼ Patent Pending. ▼ Universal Fit: Fits 1 in. to 1.5 in. diameter beach and patio umbrella poles; Includings: 1-Pack 15 in. diameter umbrella tray, 1-Pack umbrella pole adapter fastener w/screws. Color...
- ▼ Multi-Capacity: Max. 5 LBs load caddy tray; 4 drink holders (3 Inches Diameter/Each, 550ml limit); 4 snack grooves; 4 hanging holes for sunglasses; 4 cell mobile phone slots (cable charging holes...
- ▼ Weather Resistant: Durable, Anti-UV plastic material used. Designed drain holes, easy to clean and dry.
- ▼ Benefits: Release hands and place drinks, snacks, phones, sun glasses and more... on this Myard umbrella table tray. A must have for pool picnic, beach, garden, patio, backyard, decking. Get relaxed...
The PayandPack MP is an umbrella tray table that is easily attached to your pool umbrella. With this helpful accessory, you can connect directly to your umbrella; you will be able to hold four drinks, 4 snacks, and even your cell phone.
Essentially this helps give you a table on your umbrella to help keep you organized while you spend time outdoors. The PayandPack is weather-resistant and easy to clean when necessary.
- Universal fit
- Holds four drinks
- Only available in two colors
2. Classic Accessories Water-Resistant 9 Foot Universal Round Patio Umbrella Insect Screen Canopy
- UNIVERSAL FIT PATIO UMBRELLA ACCESSORY: Universal design fits most 7' - 9' patio umbrellas
- PATIO UMBRELLA ACCESSORY with WARRANTY: One-year limited warranty
- OUTDOOR PATIO FURNITURE ACCESSORY: Turns your umbrella into an insect free screen house
- PATIO ACCESSORY WITH ADVANCED FEATURES: Eliminating the need to remove or lift screen for access, magnetic door closures automatically close behind you and will not snap or tear insect mesh
Depending on where you live, you may experience trouble with bugs when you are spending time by the pool. One nice feature to have is a water-resistant canopy. This will simply fit over your umbrella and help ensure that anyone spending time inside the umbrella area does not need to worry about insects. This screen has a magnetic strap closure and can be set up within a matter of minutes.
- Easy to install
- Very useful
- Can be difficult to use depending on how you have the umbrella stand setup
3. ABBLE 20” Outdoor Adjustable All Weather Umbrella Table
- Table size: 20" x20" x 0.8"H. The umbrella table fits 38mm diameter market umbrella poles only. With its compact size, you can place it anywhere around your patio or poolside.
- High-Quality - Made of durable, maintenance-free, high-density polyethylene, which will not rust or chip and requires no maintenance.
- Design - Black finish maintains its appearance for years to come. A twisting knob on the bottom to tightly secure the umbrellas.
- Easy Assembly - Partial Assembly. Quite easy to be assembled onto market umbrella poles with lock cap.
- The side table completes your outdoor umbrella for a simple yet elegant addition to any backyard, garden, or patio.
If a full cup and accessories holder is more than you need on your umbrella, you may want to consider something like this adjustable all-weather umbrella table. If you like to do lunch or drinks poolside, this table will give you a great place to store things. We like the ability to keep your sunscreen or even your sunglasses as you take a dip in the pool. This is an affordable but durable product worth considering for your pool.
- Easy to install
- Adjustable height
- Plenty of room to store things
- May not match your umbrella pole
Reasons to Get a Pool Umbrella
Now that you have all of the insider information about the best pool umbrellas on the market, you may wonder if this is something you need for your pool area. There are a few important reasons to consider purchasing a pool umbrella.
When pools are designed and placed in a yard, they are generally put in a wide-open area. The reason behind this is that the pool will remain relatively free from debris. The downside, of course, is that the pool will not get very much shade. The primary reason that people get a pool umbrella is to provide a bit more shade.
2. Safer for Kids
Those that have children know that kids will stay in a pool all day long. Although swimming and playing in a pool is great entertainment for a child, the prolonged exposure to the sun can be dangerous. We highly recommend using an umbrella to create a shady spot for kids to be able to play and enjoy themselves without having to worry about skin cancer.
3. Cooler Temperatures
Under an umbrella, you will find that the temperature is usually about 5 to 10 degrees cooler. This is a significant reduction in temperature and will help to keep people cool and comfortable. Sometimes just being in the pool water is not enough for people to feel comfortable on those very warm days.
4. Pet Safety
Do you have a dog or cat that loves to spend time with you as you are in the pool? If that is the case, they’re often left to sit in the hot sun. With a pool umbrella, you can set it up to give the cat or dog some shade and some shade for the pool area where you are relaxing as well.
Types of Pool Umbrellas
Patio umbrellas are really any type of outdoor umbrella that can be used outdoors. With a patio umbrella, you will have fabric designed for different weather conditions and is usually adjustable to provide the most shade.
A market umbrella is a type of patio umbrella. Essentially the market-style is the typical round-shaped umbrellas that you see with most outdoor furniture. You can crank these down, and they fold up quite quickly and pop back open as well. With a market umbrella, the pole will hold up the center of the umbrella.
Cantilever or Offset Umbrellas
A cantilever umbrella or offset umbrellas are those that have a pole to the side, and the umbrella essentially looks as though it is suspended in the air. With these types of offset umbrellas, you get quite a bit of adjustability and coverage area. We love the unobstructed views that you will get with the cantilever-style umbrella; they have a very upscale look to them.
Considerations for Buying a Pool Umbrella
There are a few things you need to consider before purchasing a pool umbrella. Knowing about these features before making your purchase will help you make a smart buying decision.
Pool umbrellas come in a variety of sizes. Most are going to be around 9 or 10 feet in diameter. You may have noticed some of the larger options on our list were about 14 feet long. Find something that works for your pool and patio area and gives you the coverage that you need.
Remember, the market or cantilever style umbrellas are the most common. Typically speaking, the market umbrellas are much cheaper than offset umbrellas. Take a look at your patio furniture and make sure the one you choose will work with what you already have in place.
Choose a fabric that is weather-resistant, and UV Protective will keep your umbrella from fading and keep you safer as well. The Sunbrella fabric is one of the best choices on the market, but it comes at a high cost.
When you purchase an umbrella, pay attention to whether or not it comes with an umbrella stand. The stand or base is going to be an added expense that you must be prepared for.
Top Features to Look for in Pool Umbrellas
There are a few features that will make your umbrella easier to work with and long-lasting as well. Keep an eye out for these things.
Although a hand crank makes you have to work a bit to open and close your umbrella, they tend to be relatively simple in design. This simplicity usually means they will last longer as well. Don’t be afraid of an umbrella with a simple and easy-to-use hand crank.
Push Button Tilt
Some umbrellas have a push-button tilt, and others will simply tilt as you pull it one way or another. The more premium models will allow you to tilt without a button, but this is something that will add additional costs to the price of your umbrella.
The aluminum pole will hold up a bit longer as it does not tend to rust as quickly. You won’t want your patio umbrellas fabric to be in perfect condition but have the pole falling apart. Simply purchase an umbrella base and a pole that is going to allow for long-term durability.
Your pool umbrella is going to help take most of the heat for you. If you don’t choose a fabric with some fade resistance, it will lighten up and not look new after just a few short months.
Pool Umbrella FAQ
What Kind of Umbrella Can Go in the Pool?
As long as the materials on the pole of your umbrella are water-resistant, then you should have no trouble placing in the water. However, it can be easy to strategically place patio umbrellas around the pool in areas where it gives the pool coverage and shade.
What Is the Best Pool Umbrella?
The best pool umbrella is the Best Choice Products 10-foot offset hanging umbrella. For the features it provides, its large size, and durability, it’s hard to find a better option than this pool umbrella.
What Is the Best Material for a Patio Umbrella?
The best material for a patio umbrella is the Sunbrella material. This material is used to keep water and sun from destroying your pool and outdoor patio umbrella. Of course, the Sunbrella umbrellas are a bit expensive, but they will hold up long term.
Which Color Umbrella Is Best?
Darker-colored patio and pool umbrellas are going to show more fading than the lighter outdoor umbrellas. If your umbrellas are exposed to a lot of sunlight, make sure that you choose something a bit lighter in color.
How Do I Wash My Pool Umbrella?
Pool umbrellas can be cleaned with a mixture of soap and water. You can use a soft brush on them to get off any stains or imperfections that may have accumulated. If you want to wash your pool umbrella, do it on a sunny day so that it can dry completely.
How Should I Store My Umbrella?
A pool umbrella should be cranked down to the completely folded position, and then you can put an umbrella bag over the top of the pool umbrella. The most important thing to remember when storing an umbrella is that it must be dry before it is stored. If you don’t dry the umbrella first, mold and mildew can grow on it.
How Heavy Should a Base Be for a 9-Foot Umbrella?
There is a trick when you are finding a base for an outdoor umbrella. You must take the diameter of your umbrella and multiply it by ten. The number that you get will be the number of pounds for a base. For a 9 foot umbrella, you should be looking at a base that weighs about 90 pounds. If you choose a base that is too light, it will fall over at the slightest gust of wind.
Pool Umbrellas Your Next Purchase for More Fun in the Sun
Adding a pool umbrella to your backyard setup will help ensure that you stay protected from the sun. You can also have much more fun enjoying time outside without getting so hot. Always choose a pool umbrella that has great fabric and plenty of durability when left outdoors. If you are careful about the pool umbrella that you choose, you will likely have it for years to come. Our favorite choice is the Best Choice Products Offset Hanging Market Umbrella. You will be impressed by the features and capabilities you get for a very fair price.
For over 15 years, Sean Moore has been sharing his love and enthusiasm for swimming pools and hot tubs with everyone he knows. His goal is to help everyday people DIY their maintenance to save money by teaching how to properly take care of your equipment, safely and correctly balance chemicals, and extend the life of your water oasis.
Pricing on this page was last updated on 2023-06-10