Pool test strips are a reliable way to measure the levels of chlorine and pH in your pool. However, pool test strips can be tricky to use if you don’t know how they work or what they do. You need to read pool test strips accurately before taking any action with them.
This article will explain all about pool test strips so that you can make an informed decision on which ones are best for your needs!
The 10 Best Pool Test Strips
1. Aquacheck Test Strips
- 7-IN-1 TEST STRIPS: Tests the most critical parameters: pH, Total Chlorine, Free Chlorine, Bromine, Alkalinity, Total Hardness, & Cyanuric Acid
- AQUACHEK ACCURACY: Using medical industry technology, our test strips offer comparable accuracy to liquid tests; No measuring & counting drops of reagent, leaving less room for error
- EASY TO USE: No more messy drops; Just dip the silver strip, remove it, wait 15 seconds, & compare with the color chart on the bottle; Test water at least twice a week for safe & balanced water
- SAFE & CLEAN WATER: Each color pad is designed with unique paper to optimize color vibrancy & mitigate color-bleeding to help maintain healthy water chemistry
- TRUSTED QUALITY: With over 35 years in the business, our products will help professionals maintain healthy pool and spa water chemistry
AquaChek 7-Way Pool and Spa Water Test strips are backed by over 20 years of trusted brand quality. Get a thorough analysis of the seven critical parameters necessary for maintaining a healthy pool or spa: free chlorine, total chlorine, total bromine, total hardness, pH level, alkalinity (total), and cyanuric acid.
It’s fast and accurate, so you can test your water in seconds without taking samples back to the lab. AquaChek Pool Test Strips have optimized color vibrancy, ensuring accuracy when reading results- each set has unique chemistry paper that mitigates color bleed. Hence, there is no ambiguity with what they should be reading from the comparator provided on the packaging.
2. Clorox Pool Test Strips
- Works with iPhone and Android
- Instant, accurate customized test results
- Step-by-step treatment instructions
Prevent pool problems with your very own pool care assistant! Developed exclusively for iPhone and Android, this smart device is always on hand to help you keep an eye on the chlorine in your swimming pools. Not for use with saltwater pools or spas.
With instant, accurate readings and step-by-step treatment instructions included for easy reference, it’s everything a pool lover needs to maintain their pool all summer long.
3. JNW Diret Pool and Spa Test Strips
- AFFORDABLE 100 7-IN-1 TEST STRIPS: Get more for your money with our pool and spa test kit that contains 100 test strips, providing an affordable option for regular pool, spa, and hot tub maintenance. Keep...
- QUICK & EASY TO USE: Testing your pool, spa, and hot tub water is very quick and easy with our pool test strips. Simply dip the strip into the water for 2 seconds, hold strip horizontally for 30 seconds,...
- ACCURATE & RELIABLE: Our chlorine water test strips are highly accurate and reliable, giving you peace of mind that your pool and spa water is safe and healthy for swimming. Recommended use is at least...
- FREE E-BOOK: Our pH strips for pool and spa water include an eBook packed with important info to help you achieve healthy pool and spa levels from the comfort of your home
- TIP FOR USE: 1. Keep wet fingers out of the bottle 2. Close the cap tightly between each use 3. Store in a cool, dry place away from humidity 4. Keep away from light and moisture 5. Do not remove the...
The JNW Direct Pool and Spa Test Strips are high-quality pool test strips that provide accurate results for seven different parameters. There is also a free mobile app available to track your results accurately from the convenience of your phone!
These highly reliable and easy-to-use test strips will have you quickly optimizing your bathing water quality for optimum soothing comfort.
4. Aqua Check Yellow Test Strips
- Used in chlorine based pools
- Tests for free chlorine, cyanuric acid, pH, and total alkalinity
- Quick test dip, and fast results
- 2 Pack
Aquachek offers a quick and easy water test that beats the mess. AquaChek yellow test strips are affordable and give accurate results quickly. With Aquachek, you have everything you need to know your water’s safety and its pH balance – all it takes is one strip!
5. Poolmaster Smart Swimming Pool and Spa Water Chemistry Test Strips
- BEWARE: We want you to receive quality, authentic product so please carefully note the seller you are buying from and the spelling of Amazon to avoid receiving a bad copy of this product
- For maintaining healthy water chemistry in swimming pool or spa; contains 50 strips in easy-to-store container
- Pool water tester analyzes four chemical factors; free chlorine, bromine, alkalinity and pH
- Dip in pool or spa water for instant reading; no-bleed pads give accurate color reading
- Made in the USA
Maintaining your pool or spa water chemistry is critical to the health of your facility. Poolmaster test strips will help you analyze four key factors with an instant reading, no mess.
Use regularly for quick assurance that everything in the swimming pool or spa is perfect.
6. Benicci 7 in 1 Pool and Spa Test Strips Kit
- POOL AND SPA TEST STRIPS - 7 TESTS IN 1 - These swimming pool test kit strips are designed to measure a variety of parameters, including free and total chlorine, cyanuric acid, alkalinity, hardness, and...
- SPA TEST STRIPS - Easier Water Maintenance - These handy 7-in-1 water test kit strips are designed to help you easily maintain and monitor water conditions in your swimming pool, hot tubs, jacuzzi, or spa.
- SPA TEST STRIPS FOR HOT TUBS - Accurate Results in Seconds - With these chlorine test strips, there's no need to sit and wait. Dip the strip in water for 5 seconds, take it out, and wait for 60 seconds to...
- CHLORINE TEST STRIPS - A Must-Have For pool Owners - These pH test strips are an essential addition to your swimming pool or jacuzzi maintenance equipment. Give this as a thoughtful gift to a loved one who...
- TEST STRIPS FOR POOLS AND SPAS - Perfect Value For Your Money - Forget about buying pH strips that burn a big hole in your wallet. With each purchase, you get 100 water quality spa test strips all packed...
Benicci test strips are the perfect value for your money. These swimming pool test kit strips are designed to measure various parameters, including free and total chlorine, cyanuric acid, alkalinity, hardness, and free bromine. They’re also handy for use in hot tubs or spas.
7. Bosike 5 in 1 Water Test Kit
- Ultimate at home test strips - BOSIKE 125 water test strips for spa are made of high-quality fiber paper and no color bleeding pads. Test for 5 parameters: cyanuric acid, free chlorine, alkalinity, bromine...
- Fast & Accurate - Just dip a strip into water for 2 seconds and then remove it. Hold the strip horizontally for 30 seconds. Compare with color chart and read within 30 seconds
- High-Percision Results - These water hardness test strips are designed specifically for warm water that can easily provide instant and reliable results in no time without putting in much effort. Use at...
- Extended Longevity - Test strips for pool are packaged in a well-sealed bottle to ensure they can be stored for 2 years. Too many or too few chemicals can both compromise the water's safety, our strips can...
- Safe Money & Stress - You don't like the idea of going to a pool store to get your water tested? We neither - save time, money, and avoid hassle while knowing with confidence your water is balanced and...
BOSIKE test strips are affordable and easy to use. Get fast and accurate results with 125 strips that can be used to test both pools and spas, no matter what size or type of water chemistry they have.
The tests require only 2 seconds of immersion, so you get up-to-date information quickly without wasting lots of time or any materials.
8. Health Metric Swimming Pool and Spa Strip Kit
- ✅ DIVE IN & SWIM CAREFREE - Relax into your pool or spa’s sparkling clean water. These testing strips provide a reliable, accurate reading in seconds so you can enjoy your next swim, stress-free.
- ✅ FASTER & EASIER THAN LIQUID TEST KITS - Strips are faster and simpler than liquid testing kits, with accuracy as good or better. Our strips are about 20% wider than most other brands, making them...
- ✅ SAVE HUNDREDS & FREQUENT TRIPS TO THE POOL STORE - This kit includes 100 pool test strips, which will last 6-9 months testing 2-3 times per week. Save time, money, and avoid hassle while knowing for...
- ✅ 7-IN-1 COMPLETE CHEMICAL TESTING - Test for Total Chlorine or Bromine, Free Chlorine, Total Alkalinity, pH, Total Hardness, and Cyanuric Acid. These seven tests provide extensive info for keeping your...
- ✅ EXPERT SUPPORT WITHIN 24 HOURS - If you run into issues or have any questions, simply contact us and we’ll help you make it right.
Test your pool and spa water for chlorine, bromine, pH balance, total halogenation (chlorine or bromine), and a full range of other key chemical levels. You will know at a glance if you need to add chemicals like shock treatments which can be dangerous when not used properly.
Pool owners will also discover that this set is faster and easier than liquid testing kits – with accuracy as good or better. With 100 strips included in the kit – use one strip per test, so these strips last 4-6 months!
9. Beterwater Pool Test Strips
The Beterwater Pool Test water test strips are an easy and affordable way to check up on the levels of your pool at home for any level of homeowner. Simply dip a strip in water from the tub or pool for 2 seconds, then wait 15 seconds before comparing each strip to color charts on the side of the bottle.
The fast 17 second reaction time means you don’t have to buy multiple strips to determine what’s going on!
10. HTH Swimming Pool Chemical Tester
- BENEFITS: Tests chlorine, bromine, pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness and CYA in your swimming pool
- USE: Test weekly so you can keep your pool water clean all season long
- COMPATIBILITY: All pool types including chlorine, bromine and saltwater systems
- FEATURES: Allows you to see results of the test in seconds and get pool instructions from HTH by texting a photo of your results to 484-123
- INCLUDES: One set of 30 test strips in the bottle
With the HTH Multi-Purpose 6-Way Test Strips, you can test your pool water chemicals to make sure they’re perfect for an all-season swimming experience. The tests are easy and fast so check weekly for accurate results.
What Are Pool Test Strips?
Pool test strips are at-home pool water tests designed to measure chlorine and pH levels in a pool.
Pool test strips have two paper sides with chemicals printed on them – one for measuring the chlorine level, another for measuring the pH level. You crush or break off each chemical side at its designated point (usually by folding it), then dip it into your water to start the test.
Pool test strips are a fast and easy way to check pool water levels without getting out of the pool or relying on external equipment like an electronic tester, but they cannot measure chlorine in saltwater pools.
What Do Pool Test Strips Measure?
Pool test strips measure the chlorine level, as well as the pH balance of water. They also indicate when you need to shock your pool with a chemical like bleach for cloudy water that can irritate the skin.
Pool test strips measure chlorinated levels by changing color to indicate their concentration in your pool – if they turn blue or green, then you know that there is plenty; if they turn orange or red, then it means there is not enough, and you should add more bleach right away to ensure that your pool is safe for swimmers.
As for pH levels, the ideal range is between seven to eight; anything below or above this can lead to dangerous and damaging effects on your pool’s water. The test strip will turn a different color to indicate the pH level, so you will know when it has gone too high or low.
Are Pool Test Strips Accurate?
Pool test strips are accurate, but they are not substitutes for pH testing strips and pool test kits. What this means is that you should use the test strip to determine your pool’s chlorine levels; if it turns green, then there might be too much of it in the water, which can lead to skin irritation such as dryness or rashes. If it turns red, there might be too little of it in the pool, leading to bacteria or algae growth.
After using the test strips, you should always follow up with a pool test kit to determine the actual pH and chlorine levels in your pool.
How to Test Your pH Level Without Strips?
If you want to test your pool’s pH level without strips, you should use a pH test kit. This is a simple process: you get the water in your pool, put it into a container, and then add drops of ammonia until it changes color. The intensity of this change will tell you what pH level you have – if it’s light blue or greenish-blue, you have high levels; if it’s orange or red, you have low levels.
Considerations for Buying Pool Test Strips
There are many factors to consider if you’re looking to buy the best pool test strips for your swimming pool. At the most basic, the test results should include
You may not have realized that pool test strips can have an expiration date. If the strips are starting to dry up, they can’t be used because this will likely result in an inaccurate reading.
If you’re buying in bulk, you might want to look for a pack of test strips with an expiration date one year from when it was packaged. This is often set by law and ensures that testing isn’t compromised due to time on the shelf.
Storage conditions are important to consider because if the strips are in a place where they can be exposed to humidity, sunlight, or heat, their lifespan will decrease. Make sure you read the packaging to understand how to store them.
If you’re looking at the cost of swimming pool test strips, these factors may not come into play as much because it’s often cheaper to buy smaller packages that don’t need proper storage conditions and won’t expire for some time.
Desiccant packets are often included inside packages to keep the strips fresh and dry. You may need to put a few drops on the test strip before using it – this will help them stay clump-free and useable for as long as possible. In some cases, these desiccant packets can even be put in water first to help the strips react more quickly.
If desiccant packs aren’t included with your test strips, make sure you pick up a pack of them.
How to Use Pool Test Strips for Pool Water Testing
Testing your pool water may feel overwhelming at first, but with the right instructions, you’ll finish up in no time and get back to swimming. Here’s a step-by-step guide for how to use pool water test strips.
Step One: Take a Pool Water Sample
Put the pool water sample into a clean container. You can use an old milk carton or juice jug, but if you’re not sure what to do with your old containers after testing your water – just avoid using them in the first place by getting some new ones!
Step Two: Check the Ph Level
The test strips will measure the amount of free chlorine in your pool, but they also check for other things too. When you follow the instructions on how to use pool test strips for swimming pools water testing, this is what you’ll want to look at first. If it’s not between a range of seven and eight, you should add more chlorine to your pool.
Step Three: Read the Pool Water Level for Total Chlorine
At this point, you’ll know how much free chlorine is in your swimming pool water and compare it against a range of seven-eight – but what about total chlorine?
The test strips will measure both free and combined (or bound) chlorine to tell you the total amount in the water. The test strips should read between three hundred and four hundred ppm, but it’s best to use swimming pool chlorine levels above five hundred for your safety.
To avoid nasty swimming pool chemicals costs, you’ll need a good measuring stick – something that will tell you whether or not there is enough free chlorine in the pool.
Step Four: Swim Safely
Next, you should check the pH balance of your pool for safety purposes. If it’s too high or low, you’ll need to adjust accordingly and consult with a swimming pool professional on how best to do so.
Step Five: Check Your Swimming Pool Equipment
Next, take a look at all of your equipment – filters, heaters, and pumps, in particular, to ensure that they’re all working properly. If they need to be replaced, you should do so as soon as possible.
Step Six: Properly Cover Your Pool
At the end of every day, make sure that your pool is covered with a tarp or netting to keep debris out and children from falling into it overnight.
How to Read Pool Test Strips
Does reading a pool test strip have you perplexed? Not to worry! We have you covered.
The easiest way to read a pool test strip is to look at the specific instructions on the package and follow them to a “T.” Each test can have different readings, so follow the guidelines for your specific strip, including the scales and colors it illustrates.
Tips for Using Water Test Strips to Manage Pool Water
Pool water maintenance is crucial for both the longevity of the pool and the safety of swimmers. Here are some tips for using water test strips to manage your pool water.
- Read the instructions on the test strip package before using it. It’s important to follow the specific guidelines, including how long you should leave each pool water sample in contact with a pool test strip before reading it and what color change indicates that your chlorine levels are sufficiently high or low.
- When testing for pH balance, be sure to use a separate pool water sample from when you’re checking other factors like chlorine levels. Pool water samples may not react uniformly across all tests; this is why individual pools need their own set of strips. They can often have varied needs at different times throughout any given day. You should also collect water away from jets or inlets.
- Monitor water conditions regularly to ensure that your pool is safe to swim in. This means checking your chlorine levels and pH balance regularly, as well as making sure that all surfaces are clean of contaminants that may lead to illness or infection. This allows you to ensure that the correct chemical is present to keep pool water safe for swimming.
- Also, buy pool test kits every so often that measure other types of provisions such as iron, copper, physical components like rocks, water hardness, magnesium, calcium, and cyanuric acid. This allows you to identify and address potential issues before they become serious.
The Bottom Line
Pool test strips are an excellent way to monitor the pH and chlorine levels in your pool or spa to ensure it is safe for swimmers. If you want accurate results, do not use regular household bleach for testing; instead, opt for a quality brand of test strips designed specifically for pools and spas like the aforementioned options!
For over 15 years, Sean Moore has been sharing his love and enthusiasm for swimming pools and hot tubs with everyone he knows. His goal is to help everyday people DIY their maintenance to save money by teaching how to properly take care of your equipment, safely and correctly balance chemicals, and extend the life of your water oasis.
Pricing on this page was last updated on 2023-06-10