There are certain things that you will need to keep with your pool supplies in order to maintain a clean and healthy swimming pool. The pool brush is one of the most important. Whether you are new to pool maintenance or have been doing it for years, having a pool brush is essential to keeping the pool wall, steps, tiled surfaces, and more clean.
There are many pool brushes on the market, and understanding what sets them apart is an excellent idea. Let’s take a look at some of the best pool brushes on the market and which ones are the smartest choice for your pool.
The 10 Best Pool Brush Reviews
1. Best Overall: Greenco Pool Brush Heavy Duty Aluminum Back with EZ Clip and Strong Bristles
- Strong and sturdy that will last for years.
- 20 inch extra wide brushing that will cover larger area and finish cleaning quickly.
- Premium design and durable material makes the brush good quality to clean The most stubborn algae buildup quickly and easily.
- The curved edges will help clean the hard corners very easy.
- Will easily clip onto standard pool poles, sold separately.
The Greenco Pool Brush is the best overall pool brush on the market. This is a durable pool brush that will work for a backyard pool or a commercial pool. The brush is 20 inches wide which makes for more efficient pool cleaning.
Luckily the Greenco brush also features curved edges to help keep the corners of the pool clean. You will be able to clip this onto a standard pool in a matter of seconds. Overall if you have a large or small pool, this pool brush will help you keep the surface, corners, and steps of the pool clean.
- Good at cleaning large areas
- Suitable for a large or small pool
- Premium quality nylon bristles
- Can experience shedding problems after years of use
2. Best Premium: UrchinDJ Heavy Duty Nylon Bristle Swimming Pool Brush
- Premium Quality: 17.5" Aluminium Swimming Pool Cleaning Brush is made of high quality aluminum, ABS plastic and high-density nylon brush for maximum strength and durability.
- Efficient & Save Time: The user-friendly handle is angled at 45° to present the brush in an ideal position for easy pushing and effective cleaning, wide sweep area for quicker cleaning. Curved edges allow...
- Durable: The integrated aluminum structure from the handle to the back for maximum strength and durability, and high-density nylon plastic brush.
- Safe to Use: The smooth and round finishing edges assures no damage to the pool. The safe EZ Clip fits a standard pole easily without pinching your hands.
- Suitable For Multi-scene: This swimming pool cleaning brush is suitable for multi-scene cleaning, designed to clean walls, floors, steps and corners of pool, home & hotel, it also suitable for scrubing...
- Unique Curved Bristle Design: Specialized for cleaning stubborn stain at the corners
If you only want a pool brush that is made with premium quality bristles, the Urchin DJ could be the best choice for you. The brush is made with a combination of aluminum, ABS plastic, and nylon bristles. Essentially you will have these pool brushes for years to come.
The curved edges of the Urchin help to ensure that you can get the corners gently treated without causing any damage to vinyl surfaces.
Another feature we like about this swimming pool brush is that it is very easy to clip into the pool’s handle. The EZ Clip handle means that you won’t get your finger stuck while trying to get this brush hooked up.
- Helps to get corners and all surfaces
- Won’t scratch vinyl liners
- Very effective against algae
- Cleaning width is not as good as other options on the market
3. Best Value: Homga Swimming Pool Brush Nylon Algae Pool Brush
- Save Time：18" Large nylon pool brush , fortified, blue frame . Curved to better reach corners, tight spaces and steps of the pool，help you complete cleaning the pool quickly.
- Durable：This pool cleaning brush is made of high quality aluminum and ABS plastic for maximum strength and durability, and high-density nylon plastic brush, not damage the pool.
- Easy To Use: ABS plastic handle is angled at 45° to present the brush in an ideal position for easy pushing and effective cleaning. Curved edges allow for brushing along corners.
- Suitable For Daily Cleaning: This swimming pool cleaning brush suitable for daily cleaning, designed to clean walls; floors; steps and corners, it is compatible with most standard pool poles (pole not...
- Satisfaction Guarantee: We offer a 12 month Warranty and 100% Money Back or Free Exchange Guarantee.Please feel free to contact us if you have any puzzle.
We understand how expensive it can get maintaining a pool. The last thing you need is someone suggesting you need an expensive pool brush on top of it all. The great thing about a pool brush is that it doesn’t have to cost much to be effective.
The Homga Swimming Pool brush is 18 inches, curved to help you get the corners, and very durable. It comes with a plastic handle angled at 45 degrees. This ensures that you are using the right angle to get any debris or bacteria off the walls of the pool.
- Very fair price
- ABS plastic for long term durability
- Angle and curves help with tight corners
- Bristles may deteriorate a bit faster than other pool brush choices
4. The Wall Whale Classic WW18Res
- The tail holds the brush against the wall with more than 10x the force
- Brush with one hand
- Great for routine brushing or tough algae problems
If you have ever tried brushing your pool with one hand, you may have realized that it is quite difficult to do. Since you are working with water, you must push through. It isn’t easy to get the cleaning power you need with just one hand.
This is where the Wall Whale Classic brush comes in. There is a large flap attached to this brush that looks like a whale’s tail. The flap pushes against the brush to help you clean the pool with fewer strokes.
The Wall Whale brand claims to get about ten times the power that you would get from a typical brush with plastic bristles. Although this costs a bit more money, it’s a smart choice for those that struggle to push a pool brush and pole through the water.
- Helps get a more complete brushing
- Will does not cause scratches just because of the strength
- Adjustable angle
- Costs more money than other brushes
5. POOLWHALE Heavy Duty Polished Aluminum Back Cleaning Brush Head
- 【Cleaning Brush】POOLWHALE 18" Aluminium Swimming Pool Cleaning Brush was designed specifically with pools. It's extra-wide to tackle large areas , so there is no place for grime to hide,Perfect choice...
- 【Extra-Wide】Measuring 18" wide, the Wall Brush Deluxe provides a large sweep area for quicker cleaning.Curved edges allow for brushing along corners. Fits standard extension pool poles.
- 【Sturdiness & Stretch】Resilient poly bristles scrub without damaging pool liners, the bushy brush helps you clean quickly and effectively, heavy-duty aluminum back and handle for maximum strength and...
- 【Easy To Use】18" deluxe wall brush,it is compatible with most standard pool poles.With EZ Clips simply connect to telescoping poles and get brushing right away(Pole not Included)
- 【100% Guarantee】Buy with confidence, as our premium quality pool brush is built to last, and if you're not satisfied with it at anytime within six months of purchase, we'll provide a refund or...
The 18-inch Poolwhale cleaning brush is one of the best choices for homeowners that want poly bristles in the pool brush. These poly bristles will ensure that you can scrub those tough areas without damaging your pool walls. In addition, the poly bristles tend to last better over time.
The slightly curved ends of the Pool Whale ensure that you will be able to clean the toughest corners, even if there are algae or bacteria problems in those corners. The metal reinforced frame ensures that you can get the brush to move through the water as you need it to.
- Extra wide brush
- Metal reinforced frameGreat cleaning power for corners
- Durable bristles
- Has trouble staying connected to some pool pole choices
6. Milliard Heavy Duty Combo Nylon and Stainless Steel Wire Pool Brush
- Aluminum handle is angled at 45° to present the brush in an ideal position for easy pushing and effective cleaning.
- Combo of stiff nylon/wire hybrid bristles is effective against stubborn buildup. NOT designed for use with vinyl pool liners.
- Nylon and stainless steel wire brush is 17.5" wide for brushing large areas quickly
- Curved edges allow for brushing along corners. Attaches to standard 1 1/4" pool poles
- Made from aluminum and ABS plastic to be durable and long-lasting
Aluminum handle is angled at 45° to present the brush in an ideal position for easy pushing and effective cleaning.
If you have a vinyl pool, you will need something with the softest bristles that will not lead to scratches in your liner. However, for other pool types, sometimes having metal bristles is the only way to clean tough stains and get the pool’s rough edges to be algae-free.
The Milliard Heavy Duty brush has both nylon and wire hybrid bristles, and it will be effective against any buildup that you may have on your pool walls. When you have the opportunity to use wire bristles in your pool, you will notice how much the cleaning power will increase.
- Hybrid bristles
- Stainless steel bristles help to get in those hard to reach areas
- Great cleaning power
- Not gentle enough for a vinyl pool, will cause scratches
7. UrchinDJ Smart Swimming Pool Brush 180 Degree Handle Rotation
- Smart Handle Design: The user-friendly handle （Φ 1′/8″）can be rotated 90 degrees to the left/right by pressing the red button, which will help you to clean thoroughly with no blind corner, and...
- Ideal for Water lines, Corners, Steps: The pool brush is designed ideally for cleaning stubborn stain such as water lines, corners, steps etc.
- Safe EZ Clip: Allows you to connect the pool cleaning brush with a pole and without pinching your hands and fits all standard 1-1/4" size pool accessory poles(pole not included, you can buy separately from...
- Unique Front Bristle Design: Specialized for cleaning stubborn stain at the corners and pool steps
- Safe to Use: The smooth and round finishing edges assures no scratching on the finish of the swimming pool
- Multi-scene Use: The heavy duty scrub brush is ideal for cleaning bathroom, kitchen, tiles, garage, bristles are firm enough to stand up after sustained use.
Sometimes one swimming pool brush won’t be enough. If you are using something that has a hard time with rounded surfaces, steps, or corners, then the UrchinDJ Smart Swimming Pool Brush could be a smart choice.
When you first look at this pool brush, you can tell that the design is quite a bit different. It has a 180-degree handle that you can turn left and right to help minimize the work you need to put in to keep those tough areas of your pool’s walls clean.
If you struggle with water lines or have really intricate steps or seating in your pool, this is a really smart choice to consider.
- Safe to use
- Won’t cause scratching
- Width is perfect for steps and corners
- Not going to be the only brush you need to keep the pool clean
8. Torrent Swimming Pool Brush, 360-Degree Bristles for Pools
- 18" power bristle brush
- 360 Degree cleaning
- Built-in corner brushes
- Cleans under steps & in corners
- Fits standard telescopic pole
The Blue Torrent Swimming pool brushes feature nylon bristles in a unique rounded design. As you may know, the traditional pool brush is more of a flat shape with rounded corners. The Blue Torrent is a rounded design, and it has 360-degree cleaning power.
Anytime you can increase the surface area that the brush has for cleaning, you will notice it is easier to keep your pool clean. The Blue Torrent will fit under your pool steps and in the corners of your pool as well. We were also impressed with the brush’s ability to work on tough stains.
- 360-degree cleaning power
- Pool brush best suited for above ground pools with rounded edges
- Suitable for vinyl liners
- If used with too much force, the fact that there is no metal backing could cause the brush to snap
9. U.S. Pool Supply Professional Heavy Duty Flexible Floor & Wall Pool Brush with Polished Aluminum EZ Clip Handle
- 20" POOL SCRUB BRUSH: Professional durable 20" swimming pool cleaning brush with a sturdy aluminum reinforced aluminum back handle. Pole not included. Clean all areas of of your pools walls, floors, steps...
- FAST POOL CLEANING: Wide body pool scrubbing brush with 5 to 7 rows rows of durable nylon bristles and slightly curved ends. The bristles curve up on the ends, which makes it much easier for the bristles...
- EZ CLIP HANDLE: Handle comes with user-friendly EZ clip buttons that prevent your fingers from getting pinched or jammed while attaching or detaching a telescopic pole. Simply push down on the EZ clip...
- COMPATIBLE: Fits all standard 1-1/4" size pool accessory poles. Safe for all pool types. Ideal for use in keeping your pool free of algae, calcium build up on tiles and for cleaning all other pool surface...
- ONE YEAR - 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Buy with confidence, as our premium quality pool brush is built to last, and if you're not satisfied with it at anytime within one year of purchase, we'll provide a...
When you have a large pool, the 20-inch brush will make a lot of sense. With the smaller brushes, you are just going to spend too much of your time scraping dirt and tough stains away. However, with the larger brush, you can attack more of the pool wall at one time.
The EZ clip button on the handles helps to ensure you can attach your pool pole and not have any issues with getting your fingers in the way. You will find that the US Pool Supply products tend to have better quality at similar prices to other brands.
- Should easily attach to a pole
- Durable nylon bristles
- Fast cleaning
- Will cover a wider surface
- A little more money than other options
10. Flowerbeauty Lightweight Polycarbonate Pool Brush（Upgraded Version Mixed Bristle Material PP+PC）
- The maximum effective length of the pool brush is 20 inches, and the length after removing both sides is 15 inches. Flexible change
- PP + PC bristles can effectively clean pool walls, tiles & floors and more Strong and sturdy
- The brush body is made of full plastic, which is light and convenient, which can easily and effectively clean the stubborn algae in the swimming pool.
- The handle is made of high-strength polycarbonate material,Brush body made of brand new plastic
- The curved edges at both ends will make it easy to clean hard corners.Worry-free after sales, so just buy now!
Last but not least on our list of the best pool brushes is the Flowerbeauty Lightweight 20 inch brush. This option can clean pool walls with ease, and we love the 20-inch design. One thing you will notice about this pool brush is that there is no aluminum handle. The Polycarbonate material is built to have a long life and stand up against pool chemicals.
This brush has a softer bristle pattern, great for keeping dirty away and applying a gentle scrub to the wall of any pool.
- Will not scratch the vinyl liners
- Effective in reducing algae
- No aluminum handle makes it a more lightweight brush
- Durability may not be as good as other pool brushes on the market
What Is a Pool Brush?
A pool brush is a scrubbing device used to help pool owners keep algae and bacteria from growing on the pool walls and steps. Pool brushes are necessary because when algae are left alone on the surface of a wall, they can continue to grow and multiply. Pool brushes come in various materials that will help ensure both concrete and vinyl liner pools can stay clean.
Reasons You Need a Pool Brush
If you are a pool owner, you need a pool brush. It is as simple as that. Having a pool brush and using it often is one of the most important steps of pool maintenance. A pool brush allows you to clean the walls of the pool and brush any debris into the pool water so that it can be vacuumed or filtered out of the water.
One of the things that pool owners don’t always understand is that if there is algae on your pool walls and if it is not disturbed, you will have a hard time keeping it under control. Algae left alone continues to spread and multiply.
If, instead, you scrub the walls of your pool a few times a week, you could keep the dirt and bacteria from accumulating at all.
Types of Pool Brushes
There are a few pool brush types to consider when you are shopping for your pool’s best cleaning tools and equipment.
Traditional Flat Brush
The traditional flat pool brush with rounded edges is certainly the most popular choice on the market. This brush has been around forever, and it has an area where you clip the brush into a standard pool pole. The rounded corners on the pool’s brush help to ensure that the corners and steps of the pool are kept clean.
As you will see from our list, one type of pool brush that is starting to gain some attention is the 360 rounded brush. With this type of brush, you get cleaning power on all sides of the brush. You won’t have to worry about how you are holding the brush and turning it around as the tough 360 design works to get everything clean for you.
A corner brush is more like a special attachment. You would need to purchase a corner brush in addition to a standard flat brush. This is because the brush will work specifically for steps and corners, but it won’t work as the only brush you need to clean your pool. To clean the entire pool, you need a flat surface brush that can get the walls cleared off.
The bristle selection will also change the type of pool brush you will be looking at. Some of the bristles include nylon, poly, and stainless steel.
Pool Brush Buyer’s Guide
Now that you have a better idea of the best pool brushes on the market, you will have to narrow down which of these brushes is best for your pool. Here are a few of the things that you need to consider.
The size of your pool brush will determine how difficult it is for you to use. A large pool brush covers more area but can sometimes be difficult to get into corners. A small pool brush will do a good job on certain surfaces but will take you quite a bit longer to complete your project. We recommend something around 18 inches for most pools.
Do you have a vinyl pool? If you do, you are going to need to be very careful about the pool brush that you purchase. The pool brush can lead to scratches and even rips in the liner with a vinyl pool if you are not careful. Never use a stainless steel bristle brush on a vinyl liner. Ensure that you are always using soft nylon or poly bristles on vinyl.
Steel bristles are necessary for a concrete pool as they do a much better job of cleaning the walls and floors without losing bristles.
Connection to Pole
Take a look at how the pool brush is going to connect to the pole that you use for your swimming pool. The pool brush usually has some type of clip or connection point that you will need to use to attach to the pole.
Some of these are easier to get on than others. People often complain about issues with pinching their fingers when they are trying to attach a pool brush. Look for something that an easy connection.
How to Use a Pool Brush to Clean Your Pool
Using a pool brush to clean your pool is actually quite simple. Here are a few steps that you can follow to understand better all that is involved in the process.
Step 1: Attach Pool Brush
The first step is to attach your pool brush to the pool pole. This will ensure that you are properly prepared to start the cleaning process. The attachment should be rather easy with a clip or sliding motion.
Step 2: Walls
The walls of your pool take up the largest surface area. Start by taking the brush and pushing it down the walls of your pool. As you push down, you may or may not see debris coming from the pool walls. It is important to make sure you cover the entire surface area of the pool.
Missing a spot could leave an area for the algae to grow.
Step 3: Floor
The floor of the pool should be brushed in addition to the walls. You will need a telescoping pole to ensure that you hit all areas of the floor in the deep end of a pool.
Step 4: Steps and Corners
The steps and the corners of the pool are a favorite spot for algae to start to grow. Your pool brushing job is not complete until you have properly covered the steps and corners of the pool.
Step 5: Clean Brush
When all of your brushing is finished, it is a good idea to clean the pool brush. If there were, in fact, algae or bacteria on the brush, you would not want that to be put back in the pool the next time you brush. Sometimes pool owners are not aware of the mess they are carrying around on their pool equipment and that it could be causing a recurring issue.
Pool Brush FAQ
Here are a few questions that pool owners have about the best pool brushes on the market. As we have mentioned, the pool brush is not a large purchase, but it can have a major impact on the cleanliness and functionality of your pool.
What Is the Best Pool Brush?
Traditionally speaking, a pool brush made with ABS plastic and nylon bristles tends to be the best pool brush on the market. The Greenco Pool Brush that won our top spot is an aluminum model that is made for longevity and durability.
How Often Should I Brush My Pool?
IF you notice an issue in your pool, you should be brushing it several times a day. For regular maintenance, twice a week is a good goal to have for brushing your pool.
What Kind of Brush Do You Use on a Gunite Pool?
For a gunite pool, stainless steel bristles are going to be the best choice. The steel is strong enough that the concrete won’t pull it apart, and it is also going to ensure that the corners and crevices are adequately treated when using the steel bristles.
Should I Brush the Pool Before Vacuuming?
It is always a good idea to brush the pool before vacuuming. You want to get any of the dirt or debris off of the walls of the pool and into the water. Once it is in the water, it has the chance to settle to the ground and break apart. The vacuum and filter will work together to remove the debris from the pool once you have brushed it from the walls.
Recap: The Best Swimming Pool Brush
Hopefully, you now understand which brush is the best on the market and the best for your pool. The Greenco sits in our top position because of the power it has, softer bristles, and durable materials. You will also have no trouble getting this brush to attach to the pole. Overall you want to make sure you purchase a pool brush that will hold up for several seasons. This is a tool that is used often, and purchasing a better pool brush is a smart choice.
Pricing on this page was last updated on 2021-06-13