Owning a swimming pool is a great way to beat the summer heat. It’s also an excellent way to have a blast with your family and friends. However, owning a pool comes with its share of responsibilities. One of the most important is ensuring that pool ladders and stairs are always secure and safe to use.
A pool ladder mat can help keep people safe from slipping off the ladder while also helping protect the sides and steps of your pool from wear and tear. This guide discusses the top five best pool ladder mats, their purpose, and several considerations when buying a ladder mat. Finally, hold tight as we dig deeper.
5 Best Pool Ladder Mats
Pool ladder mats are essential for ground pools as they provide a safe and secure non-slip surface for people to walk on. However, it can be overwhelming and confusing to pick the right pool ladder mat with so many different options to choose from.
To make your life easier, we’ve hand-picked the five best pool ladder mats on the market. These options are easy to use, durable, and provide a comfortable surface for people to walk on. In addition, each of the five options is affordable and provides the highest quality.
1. Hydro Tools – 87952 Protective Pool Ladder Mat
- 【3 in 1 Wireless Charger Stand】 -charge your iPhone/ Watch /Airpods at the same time,Special Hidden line design provides you a tidy charging stand.
- 【Versatile Viewing】-Keep track of work and personal messages in portrait mode, or switch over to landscape to enjoy videos while charging.
- 【Charge Forward】 -Using highly efficient components and an advanced chipset,double coil design greatly increases the device charging speed. Totally eliminate the radiation and overheating risks...
The Hydro Tools – 87952 Protective Pool Ladder Mat made the first spot on our list for a reason. It provides an excellent overall package due to its superb quality, easy installation, and great design.
A large surface area of 9 inches by 30 inches ensures plenty of room to accommodate even wider ladders. The mat is made from heavy rubber and is thicker than most. It also features a recessed surface to protect the sides and steps of your pool from unnecessary wear and tear. This mat also features a ribbed design with an adequate thickness that provides a non-slip surface to walk on.
The Hydro Hydro Tools – 87952 is available in blue and comes in a set of two. This pool ladder mat is the ideal choice for inground pools and will secure your pool ladder while keeping it protected from wear and tear. The installation process is quick and easy, and you can use it in any pool type.
- High-quality ribbed design
- Heavy-duty construction
- Durable rubber material
- Complaints of quality issues from previous buyers
2. Aqua Select 9-Inch-by-24-Inch Swimming Pool Ladder Mat
- HIGH QUALITY: Made of super tough vinyl to protect your liner and eliminates scratching and chaffing caused by a pool ladder or steps.
- PROTECT YOUR LINER: Your liner is a big investment in your pool, protect it from any wear or tear. Use this highly durable mat to prevent holes or punctures from happening to your ladder or steps.
- REDUCE SLIP-RISK: Extra durable vinyl matting with textured bottom that creates a "no slip system" and keeps your liner safe. This pad increases traction to reduce slip-risk.
- OUTDOOR ABOVE-GROUND AND IN-GROUND POOLS: This pad acts as a cushion between your liner and your outdoor pool steps or ladder. Compatible with both above-ground and in-ground pools.
- MEASUREMENTS: 9" X 24" (PLEASE NOTE: This is for the mat ONLY. Steps/Ladders Sold Separately)
Your liner is a significant investment. So ensuring that it stays in the best shape is the only way to ensure that you get your money’s worth. And what better way to keep it protected than by using a quality ladder mat? The Aqua Select 9-Inch-by-24-Inch Swimming Pool Ladder Mat is excellent for pool ladders and stairs. It features an extensive 9-inch and 24-inch to accommodate larger ladders, while its ribbed texture provides a non-slip surface.
The Aqua Select mat is constructed from rigid vinyl material to protect your pool’s liner against scratching and chafing caused by steps or a pool ladder. In addition, this mat’s extra durable vinyl matting with textured bottom creates a “no-slip system” to keep your liner safe and increases traction to reduce the slip risk.
Whether you have an above-ground or in-ground pool, this mat will provide the best solution for protecting your pool’s liner. It is suitable for several pool types and acts as a cushion between your liner, pool steps, or ladder.
This mat is also easy to clean and features a skid-resistant design, making it perfect for all pool types. In addition, it can easily be removed and rolled up for storage when you’re not using it. It also comes with an installation kit to help you set it up quickly and easily.
- High-quality vinyl material
- Textured bottom for traction
- Extended 24-inch width for larger pools
- Skid-resistant design
- Easy to store
- Complaints of damage due to shipping
- Some previous buyers found it too thin
3. Poolmaster Swimming Pool Ladder Pad
- Protection for vinyl liner pools from wear and tear caused by pool ladders and pool steps
- Smaller and space saving pad in standard ladder width; for larger size mat see 24 x 36 - inch pad on this page
- Non-slip texture on pool ladder mat provides good traction and stability when stepping on and off pool ladder
- Place inside pool under ladder feet for protection; compatible with most portable pool ladders
- Measures 9 inches by 24 inches; please measure the length and width of your pool’s steps to find best fit
Poolmaster is a household brand for swimming pool maintenance products and accessories. This pool ladder pad is no exception, as it features excellent quality construction for all pool types.
The Poolmaster 32184 Swimming Pool Ladder Pad is a high-quality material and features a non-skid backing. It is designed to protect your pool’s liner from wear and tear and acts as a cushion between the ladder and the pool’s liner. The installation process is quick and easy to use. It’s compatible with most portable pool ladders and can be used for in-ground and above-ground pools.
This pool ladder pad measures 9 by 24 inches, making it ideal for accommodating most ladders. The pool pad comes with an installation kit and is available in blue. It is also easy to clean and features a textured design to prevent slipping. In addition, this pool pad is backed by a one-year limited warranty against defects in the materials and craft that may occur during normal usage.
- High-quality vinyl material
- Non-skid backing
- Textured design for traction and safety
- Compatible with most pool types
- It doesn’t hold the ladder in place for long, which necessitates regular adjustments.
4. SKARUMMER Swimming Pool Ladder Mat
- REPLACEMENT POOL LADDER PAD - This Swimming Pool Ladder Mat used as a cushion between ladder base and pool liner and protects swimming pool liner from damage caused by ladder base. The high quality...
- HIGH QUALITY - The size of the Protective Pool Ladder Pad Step Mat is 9 x 36 inches. And it is made of high quality rubber, which provides safety, softness, durability and flexibility.
- NON-SLIP DESIGN - The Pool Ladder Mat with non-slip texture, provide safety in climbing the ladder stand and not easy to slip. And its back adsorption capacity is strong, not easy to move.
The SKARUMMER Swimming Pool Ladder Mat is an excellent pick if you are after a heavy-duty option. It features a simple design and high-quality build material to create an exceptional product with a non-slip texture to prevent accidents.
This mat features a sleek and straightforward design with excellent back absorption capacity that keeps the ladder in place. In addition, this swimming pool ladder pad is used as a cushion between the pool liner and the ladder base, which protects the swimming pool liner from the damage caused by the ladder base.
The dimensions of this protective pool ladder pad step mat are 9 X 36 inches. This size provides the best protection for your pool ladder and is easily foldable for easier storage when not in use. You can also use the pad in the kitchen, bathroom, or living room to prevent skidding during rainy days.
SKARUMMER Swimming Pool Ladder Mat is available in blue and comes with a 24-month warranty to protect against manufacturer defects.
- Heavy-duty design for extra protection
- Non-slip texture to prevent accidents
- Simple and sleek design
- 24-month warranty
- Easy to fold up and store
- Multipurpose usage
- Complaints of poor build quality
5. Swimline HYDROTOOLS Step & Ladder Entry Exit Systems
- Acts as a cushion between ladder base and pool liner
- Protects your pool liner from damage caused by ladder base
- Eliminates scratching and chaffing caused by ladder
- Great for inflatables above-ground or in-ground swimming pools
The Swimline HYDROTOOLS Step & Ladder Entry Exit Systems is a sturdy and durable pool ladder pad that you can use as a cushion between your pool’s bottom step and its liner to protect the latter from wear and tear.
This pool ladder pad is made of premium quality material to provide dependable protection for your pool’s liner and step. It comes in a simple and classic blue design. The dimensions of this pool ladder pad measure 9 X 24 inches. It prolongs your pool’s vinyl lining and reduces the time and money spent on pool repairs.
This is an excellent option as it is compatible with most above-ground pool ladders, and the installation process is simple and easy.
- Durable, rigid, and sturdy construction
- Prolongs the life of your pool’s liner
- Non-slip texture to prevent accidents
- Is too small for some pool ladders
Pool Ladders: Mat Purpose
Now that you know the top five best pool ladder mats, it’s time to see what they do and the purpose behind their use.
Protects Pool Liner
A swimming pool ladder mat serves as a cushion between the pool liner and the ladder. This pad is made from high-quality vinyl material that is anti-abrasive, non-slip, and waterproof to protect your pool’s liner from damage caused by the ladder base. Remember that every step you take on the edge of your pool leaves scratches, significantly reducing the swimming pool liner’s lifespan and increasing the need for repairs and regular maintenance.
A non-skid, textured underside of a pool ladder mat prevents accidents. It stabilizes the ladder and ensures its proper placement on the water’s surface to prevent slips and falls, leading to severe injuries such as fractured bones, head injuries, and concussions. Pool ladder mats also protect the surrounding area from scratches and marks caused by the base of the pool ladders.
Considerations When Buying a Pool Ladder Mat
When buying a pool ladder pad, you need to consider your swimming pool’s specifications and ensure that the step mat matches its dimensions. It is also best to choose a pool ladder mat that is easy to fold up, lightweight, and portable. Below are several factors you need to consider when buying a pool ladder mat.
Pool ladder mats are made of different types of materials. First, you need to check if the material is high quality and will not easily damage your pool’s vinyl liner. A good pool ladder mat should be made of heavy-duty, water-resistant material that can withstand wear and tear for many years without tearing or fading away. It should also be thick enough to provide protection but not too bulky that you have a hard time folding it up and storing it away.
Before buying a pool ladder mat, you must consider your budget and how much you are willing to pay for one. Pools ladder mats vary in price depending on their features. For example, some cheap models only offer basic protection, but spending more money on an anti-abrasive, non-slip, and rust-resistant pool step pad is also possible. However, your budget will primarily determine which ladder pad you will purchase.
The underside of a pool ladder mat should be non-slip to prevent accidents and provide a stable surface for the ladder to rest on. In addition, the mat must be thick enough to prevent slipping even with bare feet and wet surfaces. This ensures the safety of your family and friends who will use it daily.
Pool ladder mats should be made of materials that do not react with the chemicals in your pool to prevent stains and discoloration. For example, different pool chemicals such as chlorine and algaecides can damage and stain plastic and vinyl pool ladder pads.
It is best to choose a mat that chemicals will not easily influence for it to last longer and continue protecting your pool liner. A chemical-resistant mat will also protect your pool’s liner from chemicals that may cause leakage and damage. This will significantly reduce the cost of repairs and regular maintenance.
When buying a pool ladder pad, you need to choose one that matches the size of your pool’s steps, so it will not slip off during use. You also need to decide if you want a pool stairs mat covering the max length of your pool’s steps or just half of it.
However, there is no ideal size and shape for a pool ladder pad since they come in various designs and styles. It all boils down to your personal preference and the swimming pool’s specifications. If you have an above-ground pool, look for an extended ladder pad to prevent the base of your ladders from scratching the side walls. If you have a portable pool ladder, it would be best to purchase one that can fit into any corner or area of your swimming pool.
Pool Ladder Mat Alternatives
There are also other ways to protect your pool and prevent injuries from slips and falls. Other pool ladder mat alternatives include:
A pool noodle is a soft, cylindrical, and buoyant polyethylene tube that can be attached to the base of your pool’s ladder. This will provide an extra cushion on the steps and add more stability. This is ideal for securing your pool ladder, especially if you do not want to spend money on expensive pool ladder mats.
Bath mats are another alternative for protecting your pool’s liner from the base of your ladders. It is a good option if you are looking for an affordable alternative to pool ladder mats. A bath mat is made of a soft and absorbent material that will prevent slipping even with wet feet. However, it does not provide as much protection as a pool ladder mat.
Pool Ladder Mat FAQ
While pool ladder mats may provide the protection and safety you are looking for, here are some commonly asked questions that should help you have a better understanding of them.
Do You Need a Pool Ladder Pad Under Your Pool Ladder?
It is highly advised to buy a pool ladder pad for your pool ladder. It provides an extra layer of protection for your pool liner and makes your pool safer to use. It also prevents slipping that may cause injuries when using your pool.
How Do I Secure My Pool Ladder Mat?
To secure your pool ladder mat, you must secure the bottom of your ladders to your pool deck with screws. This will prevent them from slipping during use and make your pool ladder mat more stable. Also, ensure that no sharp edges will damage your mat and compromise its safety.
What Size Pool Ladder Mat Do I Need?
The size of the pool ladder mat you need will depend on the size of your pool. For above-ground pools, measure the length and width of your pool’s steps to find an extended mat that will fit perfectly. For in-ground pools, you need to consider the shape and location of your pool’s steps to find a mat that will match it.
How Do I Keep My Above Ground Pool Ladder Mat From Moving?
To prevent your above-ground pool step ladder mat from moving, make sure to attach it securely at the base of your ladders. You can use screws to secure it on the steps of your pool. You may also use anchors to ensure it stays in place when not in use.
The Bottom Line
Pool ladder mats offer an inexpensive, easy way to protect your pool’s liner from harm caused by the ladder’s base. Likewise, installing a step pad is a practical and affordable solution to protect your family and friends from injuries while enjoying the comforts of using your pool.
To find the right pool ladder mat for your swimming pool, consider your pool size, durability, cost, slip resistance while checking different pool ladder mat ideas and styles available in the market. With our guide, you’ll be prepared to find the right pool ladder mat for you!
For over 15 years, Sean Moore has been sharing his love and enthusiasm for swimming pools and hot tubs with everyone he knows. His goal is to help everyday people DIY their maintenance to save money by teaching how to properly take care of your equipment, safely and correctly balance chemicals, and extend the life of your water oasis.
Pricing on this page was last updated on 2024-02-24