Most pool owners know all about the toe test. The toe test is when you try to put just your big toe in the water to determine if the pool is indeed swimmable. The majority of swimmers will have no idea what the temperature readings are; instead, they will have to guess whether the pool is worth diving in.
If you need a bit more accurate information than this, and maybe even some interest in tracking your pool temperature, then you are in the right place. Our reviews will discuss ten of the best pool thermometers on the market. Whether you have a hot tub, spa, or swimming pool, there are options on this list for you.
The Best Pool Thermometer Reviews
1. Best Floating Pool Thermometer: Y-WQ Large Pool Thermometer
- 10" Large Size Jumbo Pool Thermometer for easy read.
- Sinking Readings, more Accurate than floating thermometers.
- Fahrenheit & Celsius readings：10 to 120 °F / -10 to 50 °C.
- Safe & Durable, product liquid ingredients: Water 90.1%; Liquid Nitrogen 9.9%.
The XY-WQ Large Pool Thermometer offers easy reading with its 10″ size and sinking readings, ensuring accuracy superior to floating thermometers. It provides Fahrenheit and Celsius readings within a range suitable for various water environments. While versatile and durable, the inclusion of 9.9% liquid nitrogen may concern some users.
- Easy Read: 10″ size for effortless reading.
- Accuracy: Sinking readings are more precise than floating thermometers.
- Dual Units: Displays Fahrenheit & Celsius (10 to 120 °F / -10 to 50 °C).
- Versatile: Ideal for pools, hot tubs, fish ponds, jacuzzis, spas, and large aquariums.
- Safe & Durable: Composed of 90.1% water, 9.9% liquid nitrogen.
- Nitrogen Content: Contains 9.9% liquid nitrogen, raising safety considerations.
- Limited Range: Temperature range may not cover extremes.
2. Best Digital Pool Thermometer: GAME Floating Digital Pool Thermometer, Blue
- Requires 2 AAA batteries (included)
- Temperatures in Fahrenheit or Celsius
- IPX7 waterproof design
- Long line design to prevent being drawn into the skimmer
- Reaches a depth of 5" Below the water's surface
For those who have a hard time reading a traditional floating pool thermometer, this floating digital pool thermometer will be a great choice. With the GAME 14900, you can take a quick glance at your thermometer without removing it from the water and gain your pool temperature within seconds.
The depth of this model is 5″ and will allow you to get a good overall reading of the water in the pool. Simply add AAA batteries when the display does not accurately keep the temperature anymore.
- Easy to read LCD
- Long line attached
- Waterproof design
- Need to replace batteries from time to time
3. Best Wireless Pool Thermometer: Inkbird Wireless Pool Thermometer Floating Easy Read
- 🛀Wireless Pool Thermometer: The maximum connection distance is 300 feet. You can check temperature readings with the receiver inside home..
- 🛀Accurate Reading: Support both Fahrenheit and Celsius readings.
- 🛀Premium quality: The thermometer has adopted high quality materials, it is solid and durable.
- 🛀IPX7 Waterproof: The thermometer is ideal for swimming pools, Fish Ponds, aquariums, baby baths, spas, etc. Pool thermometer floating easy read, measurement range: -40℉~158℉(-40℃~70℃).
Although digital pool thermometers are great, they still require you to go to the pool and get a reading. If you want a temperature reading from inside the house, then the Inkbird Wireless Pool Thermometer is the way to go. You will have to set this station up within 300 feet from the pool, but it won’t be an issue for most swimming pool owners.
The Inkbird tends to be very accurate, and it will read in both Fahrenheit and Celsius. The high-quality materials used to develop this thermometer will last for many seasons without needing replacement.
- Accurate reading of water temperature
- Don’t need to go outside to see what it says
- Large temperature range
- Need to put the display console in your home somewhere
4. Blufree Floating Pool Thermometer, Swimming Pool Thermometer with String
- 【Premium Quality】The pond thermometer is made from durable material & shatter resistant, so you can use it for a long time.
- 【Cartoon Design and Multifunctional】This floating pool thermometer use animal cartoon design, it can perfectly be used as water thermometer and bath toy. Floating thermometer offers precise water...
- 【Accurate Temperature Reading】The pool thermometer floating easy read is with high-precision temperature sensor which ensures an accurate temperature readout. Also it floats on water's surface for easy...
- 【Easy to use】This spa thermometer has clear, large numbers which easy to read, it can be used in swimming pool, fish pond, bathtub, aquariums.
One thing you will notice about many of the models of thermometers that we have on our list is that they are fairly low in price. Pool owners should be happy to hear that a pool thermometer will not be an expensive purchase for the pool. With all the money we spend on a pool and spa in a year, this should come as a welcome surprise.
If you want great value and good quality, take a look at the BluFree Floating Pool Thermometer. This is a simple model that gives accurate readings and quick results. The large numbers are easy to ready, and the ABS plastic will keep it working for years to come.
- Floats at the pool surface
- Accurate temperature readings
- Good for the entire family
- The top unit can mold; just needs to be cleaned
5. Ambient Weather 7-Channel WiFi Remote Monitoring Weather Station
If you are serious about knowing everything about the outdoors before you step outside, then the Ambient Weather Channel is the best choice for you. This is a digital weather station that comes with a large display that is easy to read. With these Ambient Weather products, you are going to get much more than just a pool temperature.
You can get weather conditions and forecasts, pool temperature, and even a soil tester. The Ambient Weather Monitoring Weather Station gives a very accurate reading, and it will tap into the Ambient Weather network.
Overall this is one of the more expensive product offerings on our list, but it is also the most versatile. This is something that goes way beyond a simple pool temperature reading.
- Very versatile product
- Air temperature, pool temperature, soil temperature, and more
- Wifi connects it to the phone
- One of the most expensive models
6. Pull Together Floating Swimming Pool Thermometer
- 🦩Cute Design: Adorable crab shape designs - that will add a touch of whimsy to your pool or spa.
- 🦩Keep your pool or spa at the perfect temperature with our easy-to-read thermometer. Temperature reading range：20 to 120 °F / -10 to 50 °C.
- 🦩Large size and clear display make it easy to read from a distance. The pool thermometer liquid ingredients: Water 90.1%; Liquid Nitrogen 9.9%.
- 🦩Includes a rope tether to keep the thermometer from floating away.
One of the important things to consider when choosing your thermometers is that the product is shatter resistant. A thermometer is a convenient tool, but if a kid happens to get their hands on it and drop it on your pavers, you do not need that broken glass heading into the pool.
The Pull Together Floating Swimming Pool Thermometer is a great choice as it gives a wide range and an accurate reading. With this product, you will always be able to find your thermometer and get a good indication of whether or not the water is swimmable.
- Include rope to attach to the ladder
- One of the more durable thermometers
- Wide temperature range
- Can be a bit hard to read in the direct sunlight
7. Pool Thermometer Swimming Pool Accessories
- Cute Design: Adorable shape designs - that will add a touch of whimsy to your pool or spa.
- Keep your pool or spa at the perfect temperature with our easy-to-read thermometer. Temperature reading range：20 to 120 °F / -10 to 50 °C.
- Large size and clear display make it easy to read from a distance. The pool thermometer liquid ingredients: Water 90.1%; Liquid Nitrogen 9.9%.
- Includes a rope tether to keep the thermometer from floating away.
The XY-WQ Floating Pool Thermometer – a convenient and essential tool for pool and spa owners looking to maintain optimal water temperatures. Whether you enjoy outdoor or indoor swimming, this easy-to-use floating thermometer provides a hassle-free way to monitor your water’s temperature.
Designed for both swimming pools and spas, the XY-WQ Floating Pool Thermometer boasts a large, easy-to-read display and comes with a convenient string for secure attachment. With this thermometer, you can ensure that your water is always at the perfect temperature for your comfort and enjoyment.
- Largest display
- Good alternative to the digital products
- Large prob gives accurate temperatures
- Will be highly visible in the pool area
8. RINMEE Solar Digital Pool Thermometer Floating
- 【EASY TO READ】The RINMEE floating swimming pool thermometer is designed to be easy to read, with a large, clear display that shows the water temperature in bright, bold numbers.
- 【SOLAR POWERED】This floating temperature gauge is powered by solar energy, which means you won't need to worry about replacing batteries or running out of power.
- 【HIGH ACCURATE】Our pool thermometer reaches a depth of 7 inches below the water, providing precise and reliable measurements of the water temperature.
- 【WIDE MEASUREMENT RANGE】-4℉ to 122℉(-20℃ to 50℃) measuring range range, suitable for Swimming Pool, Spa, Hot Tub, Ice Bath, Jacuzzis, koi Pond.
The GEEVON Wireless Pool Thermometer is a cutting-edge solution for effortless and precise water temperature monitoring in your swimming pool, bathwater, spas, and hot tubs. In today’s world, maintaining the perfect water temperature is crucial for your comfort and enjoyment, and the GEEVON Wireless Pool Thermometer is here to make that task easier than ever.
This advanced thermometer combines wireless technology with a large, easy-to-read display, and unique features such as high and low-temperature alerts and a 10-second backlight. Whether you’re a pool enthusiast or spa aficionado, this remote digital thermometer ensures that your water is always at the ideal temperature, providing comfort and peace of mind.
- This thermometer operates using solar energy
- The thermometer features a large and clear screen display with bold numbers
- Offers high accuracy in temperature measurement
- Suitable for various water sources, including swimming pools, hot tubs, ice baths, and fish ponds, offering versatility in use
- Floats on water
- Dependent on sunlight
- Limited Features
- As with any floating device, there is a risk of damage from sharp objects or heavy pool equipment
9. Inkbird Pool Thermometer, Digital Accurate Wireless Sensors Waterproof Water Solar Powered
- 📦📦Package include 2 X IBS-P01R Floating Pool Thermometers with 1 X Wireless Receiver.
- 🏠🏠Check Temperature Indoor: Maximum wireless connection distance is 300 feet. Put thermometers on the Swimming Pool and Hot Tub. You can check Both temperatures on ONE receiver.
- 💧💧Upgarde Version: IPX7 waterproof silicone sealing ring.No more Leaks.
- ♨️♨️Ideal for Indoor&Outdoor like swimming pools, fish ponds, aquariums, baby bath, spas etc. Pool Thermometers Measurement Range: -40℉~158℉.
- 🌟🌟Attention:Please pay attention to tightening the product to prevent water.
The Inkbird digital pool thermometer is made with ABS material and will give you a digital display of the pool temperature. The high-precision sensor makes sure your readings are always accurate.
Within two minutes of putting the solar-powered thermometer into the water, you will get an accurate temperature reading. The Pool Thermometer is durable enough to use in the pool and spa, and it does a great job of floating on the surface of the water.
- High precision
- One year warranty
- Easy-to-read data
- Must tighten the top of the thermometer over time
10. GEEVON Wireless Pool Thermometer Floating Easy Read
- 【Upgraded Waterproof Pool Thermomter】Geevon wireless pool thermometer floating features an advanced IP67 waterproof body with a heavy-duty silicone sealing ring, making it more waterproof. Supports 3...
- 【Temperature Alert & History Records】 Programmable temperature alarm to warn when reach pool highest & lowest temperature setting.Geevon digital pool thermometer records 24 hours high & low pool...
- 【4.9"Large Display & Multi-functional】The pool temperature thermometer with 4.9" large lcd display screen （10 seconds backlight）can detect the water temperature in swimming pools, bathtubs, fish...
The GEEVON Wireless Pool Thermometer – the ultimate solution for precise water temperature monitoring in swimming pools, spas, hot tubs, and bathwater. In today’s world, maintaining the perfect water temperature is essential for your comfort, and the GEEVON Wireless Pool Thermometer simplifies this task.
This advanced thermometer combines wireless technology with a large, easy-to-read display, offering unique features like high and low-temperature alerts and a 10-second backlight. Whether you’re a pool enthusiast or spa lover, this remote digital thermometer ensures your water is always at the ideal temperature, guaranteeing comfort and peace of mind.
- Wireless Convenience
- This thermometer offers the convenience of high and low-temperature alerts.
- With a 4.9″ large display, reading the water temperature is a breeze, even from a distance.
- The 10-second backlight feature ensures you can easily check the temperature at any time, day or night.
- Suitable for a wide range of water sources, including swimming pools, bathwater, spas, and hot tubs.
- Advanced features of this wireless thermometer may result in a higher initial cost.
- The thermometer’s battery will require replacement over time.
- Electronic devices can be more sensitive to damage compared to traditional floating thermometers.
What Is a Pool Thermometer?
A pool thermometer is a temperature reading device specifically configured to work in a swimming pool. This means that the temperature range, durability, and display are all configured to work for the average temperatures you would find in a pool or a spa. There are many different types of pool thermometers on the market. The best pool thermometers for your pool may be a bad choice for your neighbor. Understanding the different types and prices of these pool thermometers can help you choose the correct product.
How a Pool Thermometer Works
Most pool thermometers will float on the surface of the water and send a probe down into the water to test the temperature. When you purchase a pool thermometer, it is important to pay attention to the probe’s length. If the probe happens to be well below the water, it can give you a more accurate reading and not just a surface temperature. This will help to give you a better idea of the situation in the entire pool. Pool thermometers will vary in how they report the temperature, depending on the type that they are.
Temperature & Water Quality
We have mostly mentioned that you may need to know your pool spa water temperature so that it is comfortable to swim in; however, there is more to it than that. Aside from your comfort while using the pool, it’s a good idea to keep an eye on the temperature because of the water quality.
Typically speaking, as the pool water heats up, it also becomes easier for algae to grow in the water. This, of course, leads to poor water quality and more issues with water chemistry. If you have an indication of the water temperature, you can use it as a guide to determine if the pool is safe to swim.
Most experts recommend keeping the pool between 83 and 88 degrees. This is easy to do if you have a pool heater but could be harder to control if you don’t.
Pool Water Thermometer Types
As you saw from our reviews, there are three main types of pool water thermometers. Depending on your pool’s individual needs and your lifestyle, one of these will likely be a better choice than another.
Digital Pool Thermometer
The digital pool thermometer is a great choice for those that have a hard time reading the display of a traditional pool thermometer. With these digital options, the thermometer will still be floating in the pool, and you can quickly look down and get your reading.
Some digital pool thermometers are going to be powered by the sun, and others will take batteries. It’s important to consider the power source so that you can choose the proper model for your needs.
The floating pool thermometer is the classic way to get your pool temperature. This will sometimes look like a rubber duck or turtle floating in your pool water, but it will give you a very accurate reading. The floating pool thermometer is durable, inexpensive, and should last for many years.
Wifi Pool Thermometer
A wireless or wifi pool thermometer will take your digital pool thermometer to another level. Instead of having to go out to the pool to read the temperature of the pool, you can see it from the comfort of your home. Most of the wifi models have a screen that you can place inside your home. The screen will give you an idea of the pool temperature without you going and checking for yourself. Of course with this model, you normally get an app that you can monitor the temperature on your phone as well.
Reasons You Need a Pool Thermometer
Most people look at the pool thermometer as a tool that brings some convenience. However, there is more to it than convenience. The pool thermometer can offer some very valuable information the pool owners need to keep the pool in great swimmable condition. Let’s look at four of these reasons.
When your pool is really warm, it will burn through chlorine at a much faster rate. Of course, we know that this is a problem that will lead to water chemistry issues. Pool water chemistry being off means spending more time working on the water and getting it balanced. You will also spend more money on chemicals. Although there may not always be something you can do to cool the pool down, there are some things you can do to prevent it from getting too warm, especially if you have a pool heater.
Pool Heater Maintenance and Monitoring
When you have a pool heater, you must make sure that it is doing its job. For instance, if you have the pool heater set to maintain a constant temperature, yet you see a large fluctuation in that temperature, it may be time to do some maintenance on the pool heater.
Large fluctuations can let you know that there is a problem with the functionality of the heater. You will likely be able to make an adjustment before the issue gets worse. The only way to keep an eye on this system of your pool is by knowing the temperature.
Of course, it is difficult to jump into a freezing cold pool. If you want to make sure that your body is comfortable when you dive in, you can use a pool thermometer. You will learn the range of temperatures that help you feel most at ease when swimming.
Probably the most important reason to purchase a pool thermometer is safety. If you jump in a cold pool and stay too long, your body may experience issues and start to cool off a bit too much. If, on the other hand, you spend too much time in a hot pool, you will end up getting dehydrated. The safety factor is also quite important when it comes to young children swimming in the pool. Their bodies will have a more difficult time maintaining the temperature, and therefore, it is good to know the temperatures they are swimming in.
Considerations for Buying a Swimming Pool Thermometer
By now, you have a lot of information on the swimming pool thermometer and some of the best choices on the market. The only thing that you may find overwhelming is the number of options you have. If you want some help narrowing down which of the pool thermometers are the best, keep these considerations in mind.
As we mentioned above, the three main types of swimming pool thermometers are digital, floating, and wireless. Depending on your need for the temperature and the frequency you check the temperature, you will have to choose the type accordingly.
Most pool thermometers are going to come at a very fair price. You will see the range being anywhere from $10 up to about $100 for some of the wifi options. Overall this is not going to be one of the more expensive devices you order for your pool. Choose a model based on features as opposed to being based on the price.
Most pool thermometers are going to have a wide range of temperatures. However, if you plan to use the thermometer in your spa as well, make sure that the thermometer has a high top temperature range. If you don’t pay attention to this, you may not be able to get an accurate reading of your hot tub.
Remember that pool thermometers are going to sit in your pool water at all times. This means they will be exposed to water, waves, splashing, and weather conditions. Choose something made from a durable ABS plastic that allows you many seasons without replacing your pool thermometer.
Pool Thermometer FAQ
Here are a few questions that pool owners will ask before purchasing their next new pool thermometer.
What Is the Best Pool Thermometer?
Out of the three types of pool thermometers, most people end up going with the floating pool thermometer. With this tool, you will get a simple, low-cost option for keeping your pool water in check. The wifi and digital options are good if you have some extra money to spend.
How Do I Measure the Temperature of My Pool?
To measure the temperature of your pool, you will need to place the thermometer on the surface of the water for a few minutes. Most thermometers can get a reading within two minutes of being put in place. The probe under the water will give you an accurate reading of the pool temperature and not just the surface water temperature.
What Is the Ideal Temperature for an Indoor Swimming Pool?
Indoor swimming pools are usually kept around 78 degrees. The lower temperature helps make sure that people are not getting overheated as they swim in the pool water. For pools that are used to teach babies to swim or give seniors some extra movement, the temperature will be kept closer to 85 degrees. These temperatures are to ensure the safety of those that are swimming in the pool water.
Does a Pool Thermometer Have Mercury in It?
Most modern-day pool thermometers are not going to be made with mercury. With the dangers that we now know about mercury, it is not being used nearly as much. Instead, your pool thermometer probably uses mineral spirits. You can easily tell if your pool thermometer is, in fact, mercury-based as it will be gray or silver in color. Most pool thermometers are red, and that is not mercury.
Pool Water Thermometer Recap
Before the season starts, it’s a good idea to have a tool to help you monitor your pool’s temperature. Not only will the thermometer tell you if you are ready to take a swim, but it helps you keep the water clean as well. Pool water thermometers are not expensive, and they can be a very simple but effective tool. The Milliard Floating Pool thermometer stands out as the best choice. It is simple, easy to read, and will last you season after season.
For over 15 years, Sean Moore has been sharing his love and enthusiasm for swimming pools and hot tubs with everyone he knows. His goal is to help everyday people DIY their maintenance to save money by teaching how to properly take care of your equipment, safely and correctly balance chemicals, and extend the life of your water oasis.
Pricing on this page was last updated on 2023-12-04